Monday, December 8, 2008

My prayer for my children

Ok, well after my last post, and now this one, you guys are probably all going to think I’ve turned into some kind of emotional sap. Well, lets blame it on the post pregnancy hormones that are still working their way out of my body. Anyway, I just wanted to share the following, and also to have a record of this to share with my kids one day.

After Jeremiah was born, I started reading the book “Baby Boot Camp” by Rebecca Powell. (Which by the way is a great book…I highly recommend it for any new mother…it would make a great gift if you’re looking for something different to give at a baby shower). Anyway, this book is a daily devotional that is designed for the new mother. Its 6 weeks worth of short daily devotions directed at a mother dealing with a newborn’s first 6 weeks of life. Anyone that has been there will tell you that these first 6 weeks are the toughest, and this book is great at helping you realize that you’re not alone in your struggles. I can’t tell you how many times I have picked up this book and read a devotion that dealt with exactly what I was struggling with at that moment. God definitely had his hand in writing this book for new moms.

So, one thing the author of this book suggested doing is to decide on a “life verse” for your new baby, a bible verse that you choose for your child and basically becomes a lifetime prayer for your child. So, I’ve been thinking about this and have finally decided on what I hope to be “live verses” for my children. Jeremiah’s verse was easy…it was partly why we chose his name. It was interesting to think about verses for the girls. Since I’ve had the joy of knowing them for 2 years, I was able to think about their personalities and choose their verses specifically for them. So, here are the verses that I pray will become “life verses” for each of my children:

Kathryn – James 4:7-8a “Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.”
Kathryn is a very independent person. From the beginning, she has been our more adventuresome child. She doesn’t seem to take the time to stop and think before acting, she just goes for it. Whether its exploring a new toy, new place, or even a new person. This is not a bad thing, but with this verse I hope Kathryn will learn to submit herself to God and let him lead her actions. I pray that she will resist the devil and draw near to God in all aspects of her life.

Kimberly – Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
Kimberly is a very thoughtful person. She is very aware of others and their feelings, and is very considerate of them. She is also the one that will sit down and work at something until she figures it out, whether it be figuring out a puzzle or how something works or figuring out her letters and numbers. With this verse I want to encourage Kimberly to keep thinking about others and also about herself and learning new things. I pray that she will never lose her interest in learning and know that she can do anything as long as she puts her trust in Christ.

Jeremiah – Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.”
Jeremiah is our precious baby boy. This verse is a big part of the reason why we chose his name. How reassuring and encouraging it is to know that God does indeed have a plan for us and that He is giving us hope and a future. With the economy and the world in the current state, its easy to get wrapped up in the bad parts of our lives. There is so much uncertainty that fills our lives and chances are things will get worse. I pray that Jeremiah will never lose sight of the plan that God has for him and his life; that he will never get bogged down with the problems of this world, but remember God’s promise of hope and a future.

After thinking about these verses for our children, I decided to take it one step further and find a family life verse/passage. I think this passage speaks for itself and you’ll understand without an explanation why I chose this passage for our family.

James 1:2-6 “My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.”

So, if you’re ever wondering if there’s anything you can do for our family…please just be praying for us that we’ll all grasp a hold of these verses and cling to God and all the plans he has for The Jones Family.

6 comments:

Sara said...

What a wonderful thing to do! It sounds like you have chosen the perfect verses for each. Jeremiah 29:11 is my personal favorite. I may have to get this book even though I am past this rough time. And I will def think on the verses for my own children. Thank you for this post. I needed it :-)

Suz said...

Just bought the book for 3 pregnant friends based on your post! Thanks for the recommendation. I love the verses you chose & think that's such an amazing idea!

~Cherokee said...

Great verses to chose. The verses for the girls are totally fitting. Jeremiahs' verse is wonderful!

I like the idea of a family verse. With all that is going on in my life, it might not be such a good thing...

~Cherokee said...

I meant to say... it might not be a bad idea to find our family verse...

can't type today...

Jessica Buhl said...

This is such a great thing to do for your children and your family. You always have had a way of blessing me with your thoughts and actions.

Unknown said...

thats great oj....gotta get book for friend... so how do you use these verses in the future?